Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Blue Pearl

Outside in the sun.

There is an additive you can put into car paint to make it holographic called SpectraFlair. Some, ok nearly all, the homemade holo polish you see out there has SpectraFlair in it. I've been wanting to get my hands on some for quite a while now and when I was picking the brain of a friend who loves cars about where I could get it, he mentioned that SpectraFlair isn't the only thing that can be added to paint to give an effect. He was in fact using something called Blue Pearl to give his black car a blue iridescence  He threw some into a clear coat and sent it to me to play with. 

Ok, first the official stuffs. This is an automotive additive and not a cosmetic grade glitter. I have no idea if there are legal ramifications in making and selling this in polish form, but I'm just putting this out there now. It's not cosmetic grade and hasn't been approved by whoever approves this kind of thing.

Indoors in the shade.

With the legal stuffs out of the way I'll say this is a pretty cool, but a limited use polish. I've only gotten good results over black polish, but over black polish this stuff is AMAZING! Even in shade and indoors it is a stunner. Outside in the sun and its a knockout. Here I have 2 coats of my blackest black polish, Orly "Liquid Vinyl" and 3 or 4 coats of the Blue Pearl topcoat. One or two would have been enough, but I got carried away :)
A well shaken bottle. He added the Blue Pearl powder to a Sally Hansen
clear topcoat.

One drawback is that it settles in the bottle quickly and needs to be shaken up constantly. Even between one coat and the next it started to settle fast, and that much shaking means air bubbles. I've tried the polish over other colors with various results, but black is the only clear cut beauty so far. With the other colors, the blue just doesn't come thru clearly or sometimes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment