Thursday, April 4, 2013

Glue Basecoat


After reading Wacky Laki's discovery of peel off basecoat, I decided to give it a shot.This is a fascinating way to remove glitter polish and so much faster than the tin foil method. The idea is simple, instead of using a basecoat, paint your nails with plain white glue. Then put on your colors and glitter. When it's time to take it off, it just peels off and leaves your nails clean and ready in minutes. Well, that's the idea anyway. My test wasn't quite that black and white.

My results after the jump...



As a basecoat, the glue wasn't all that bad. It was a slow dryer, and you have to wait for it to dry completely before adding your colors, but once dry it was clear if slightly matte. I grabbed a color I'd never used before for this experiment Wet n Wild "9021Orange" and a chunky gold glitter I got at a junky dollar store. No name, and I don't trust the name on the bottle because all the bottles there were different shapes and sizes with MagiColor name on the bottle. Definitely looked like the polish had been poured into reused bottles and a label slapped on it. The glue bottle shot above was taken the night I painted the nails.


Here are my nails the following morning. Note the shinkage on the tips, but I really don't think that is the result of the glue. My paint shrinks all the time and I believe that is the result of my topcoat Seche Vite. It is a very common problem with that topcoat, but I don't mind too much. I change my polish so much that by the time it starts to shrink, I'm already planning the next manicure.


By lunch, however, I could see the paint lifting up on the edges of my nails. I've since used glue a few more times, and if you're careful to not get the glue on your skin or cuticle, you can prevent the lifting a little bit longer.


That night at work, I was wringing a towel out in the sink when I saw what looked like a fake nail floating in the water. Yep, it was the paint lifting off all in one sheet. 2 more nails fell off that night, so I picked the rest off into the trashcan. They peeled off very easily, and left a little sticky residue behind that washed off with soap and water.



You can see a little of the orange peeking out on the edges, but mostly the polish came off clean. No remover was used. No damage to the nail below. Just a smooth, clean removal of glitter polish. The biggest complaint I have is it only lasted a day. Not even a full 24 hours. Now there are tips and tricks to get it to last longer, but in all my trials I've only gotten it to last less than 2 days. That is fine by me, but not everyone likes to paint their nails as often as I do. Oh, and waiting for the glue to dry is irritating. But being able to easily remove glitter? Totally worth it in my eyes.

Soguesswhat11 tried it out as well and here are her results.



Try it out for yourself. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment